Saturday, June 2, 2007

Food Diary - June 1

7:30a
- BS (blood sugar) 133 - could be a lot better but supper the night before was restraunt food with few choices of side dishes. NO green veggies in sight except the green salad that goes with every meal. Iceberg lettuce at that. But they do have The best homemade ranch dressing I've ever eaten. Anyway so I had fried okra as my side. I figured it to be a better choice than french fries, baked potato, or onion rings. And I caved and ate 1/2 my slice of toast cause I forgot to tell them to not put any on my plate.
- 16 oz water
- Breakfast bar (Atkins Granola) - I was late getting up so had to eat at work. This was the best I could do.

10:30a
- BS 107
- small apple
- handful of walnuts

12:30a
- BS 95
- 16 oz water

2p - fast food on the run :-(
- 8 chicken nuggets (breast meat chunks instead of pressed pieces parts but coated and fried none the less)
- slaw
- few waffle fries - in my defense I didn't know I was ordering a combo and once they were in my car I was gonna eat a few. At least I tossed them with the bag still over half full.
- med. diet coke. Something I almost never do as I don't usually drink pops that have nutrisweet in them. I prefer to buy the ones sweetened with Splenda.

4p
- 24 oz. water

7p
- pork steaks - lightly coated with whole-wheat flour, browned on both sides then baked until done and crispy. These are soooooooo good but will only show up on my menu occasionally as they're not the best food choice I could make right now. But I had these and David requested them to be cooked this way so I caved.
- sauteed mushrooms/onions
- rice/gravy - but only 1/2 cup. MUCH better than the 1/2 a plate I would have eaten before as I LOVE rice and cream gravy.
- diet coke (w/spenda)

9p
- 16 oz water

In looking back over my meals I see where I had several bad spots.
First I overslept and couldn't get a good breakfast at home. In fact I didn't even have time to stop and get anything so had to depend on a bar for breakfast.

The apple and walnuts was a okay snack. Not Atkins induction but it's what I had on hand (except another granola bar and I don't like them well enough to have 2 that close together!) And not enough to carry me into missing lunch which led to the poor lunch choice. I should have taken lunch even though I was leaving at noon because I knew my only choices would be restraunt food (which I didn't have time for) or fast food. And fast food at a late hour which means I was VERY hungry and thus didn't make very good choices. But sleeping late didn't leave me time to prepare anything.

Too many carbs with supper after the bad lunch I had. But supper had already been planned and I caved and ate some of the rice/gravy I made for David.

Not enough water. I need to up my water consumption. When I did this before I drank LOTS of water. Close to a gallon a day. Now I find it hard to get in 1/3 to 1/2 that.

What can I do to improve?
Drink more water. At least 12 eight oz glasses. (or 6 sixteen oz bottles)

Get up in time to fix breakfast.

Fix lunch the night before so even if I am running late I can just grab it from the fridge.

Try to avoid meals out. Not always possible but make the best choice from those available and try to go super low carb on the other meals that day.

When fixing potatoes, rice or other carby veggies for David ONLY fix just enough for him to eat one meal. Then I'm not tempted to get a bit for myself.

So day one could have been better. And a blood sugar reading this AM of 125 shows it. But today is a new day so lets see how my willpower holds up today with a trip to town planned which probably means lunch eaten out.

1 comment:

Susan H. said...

Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. Continue to monitor your weak points, but don't indulge in beating yourself up. It is counterproductive. I'm rooting for you all the way, baby girl.