Friday, April 6, 2007

Yes, QuiltingFitzy, I do still eat. LOL!

And to prove it here's a sampling of last weeks meals.
First up is baked fish with a side of sauteed onions/bell peppers/zucchini. For this all I do is saute the veggies in a bit of butter until about half-done. Melt a little butter in an ovenproof pan. Put fish fillets in pan turning to coat all sides with a bit of the butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Surround with the sauteed veggies and bake for about 10 minutes until fish is light and flaky. Any kind of fish will do. This happens to be catfish but I've used whiting, salmon, maui-maui, and flounder. Some are more "fishy" tasting than others but they're all good.

a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEifDORgEKV8fYOF7Dsoz6vF6LPcZw8wwACEG0wgq2SLTwli4Vs2FONp-p7mItw-38yuEfWxsFMBrBqj8oRARGdudKIQ0EqqONdsUJg2mhvHjaM9I1jNiS_xqiVoZHMtdgPelof1bk2B-8s/s1600-h/Apr07+011.jpg">Next we have broiled pork chops, corn and broccoli. No recipes here. Salt and pepper the chops and throw them under the broiler. Turn when about half done. Boil broccoli in a little water until tender. Drain and toss in a pat of butter. Open a can of corn. Drain. Heat in the microwave with a bit of tad of butter. Simple meal but yum, yum! (PS, best part about THIS meal. David cooked it. LOL!)

Now here we have one of my FAVORITE meals. Hamburger casserole aka "clean out the refrigerator casserole". Brown some hamburger. When almost done add chopped onions and bell peppers and let them cook in the drippings as the hamburger finished cooking. Drain well and return to skillet. Add a can of tomatoes, a can of mushrooms (unless you have fresh, then I toss them in along with the onions), a can of tomato sauce, some kind of vegetable (this time it was diced zucchini and a bit of broccoli and corn left from the night before), and a handful of raw macaroni. If you have another type of leftover pasta or rice you can use that, just don't add it until everything else is pretty much done. Oh and add whatever seasoning you like. I usually add a bit of dried italian seasoning. But if I have fresh basil and parsley I like to use them instead. OR if you want an mexican flavor to it you could add a bit cumin and cilantro. Let it simmer until the veggies and pasta are done. Add a handfull of grated cheese (and here's where you'd add the already cooked pasta or rice) and cook about 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted. I LOVE this stuff! And except for the pasta there's nothing in it that's not on my diet. So I've started cooking the pasta on the side and adding it to David's half after I've taken mine out of the pot. So what you're seeing here is actually David's plate, not mine. I do miss the pasta cause I like the texture it adds to the dish but it's still yummy without.

And that brings us to the final meal for this week. Pot roast with a side of green beans. Just a good chuck roast cooked with potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions. Salt and pepper everything, add a packet of onion soup mix and about a cup of water and bake at 350 for 2 to 3 hours depending on how big your roast is. Open a can of green beans and heat in the microwave with a bit of bacon grease. This is always good for at least 2 meals since there are only the 2 of us. And if it's a very big roast it will also yeild enough meat for a bit of stroganoff for another night. But no stroganoff recipe this time as this was a very small roast and barely made the first planned-over meal.

So, see. I do still eat. And will try to be better about blogging my meals more often. It really does help me stay on focus if I know I have to fess up to what I've been eating. And I've lost a total of 9 lbs and have lowered my AM blood sugar numbers by 20-30 points in the past couple weeks. I've started adding a bit of exercise. Not much but ANYTHING is better than I've had for the past couple years. I've been doing yard work for 20 to 30 minutes a day. Which reminds me I really do need to get off this computer and get out there in the fresh air and sunshine. :-) See you again tonight when I promise there will be content that doesn't focus on food.

2 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

You crack me up.

Wow, looks good.

I'm on the road between houses, officially homeless. Currently in FL for my daughter's college graduation. I'm dying for some home cooked food.

I love your dishes, stoneware? I'm in the market for new ones and need something lightweight..but love color!

Holly said...

Way to go on the nine pounds!!!